Sunday, June 2, 2013

Brain Dump

Hi guys, I'm Nikki! I needed some ideas to use in my project so one of my friends here at the shelter suggested that I made a brain dump! I had no idea what a brain dump but then I learned that a brain dump is like a list of small ideas that can help to make one big idea. My brain dump will help me make my essay which I will be posting in a few days. (: Here is my brain dump!

Animal Cruelty
v  Cruelty to animal is the infliction of suffering or harm upon animals for purposes other than self-defense.
  v  The Humane society is the nation’s largest and most effective animal protection organization
  v  The following information is from http://www.humanesociety.org
        v  In 2000-2001, pit bulls were involved in 13% of reported dog-abuse cases. In 2007, pit bulls were involved in 25% of reported dog-abuse cases.
  v  An investigation of a slaughterhouses revealed that animal cruelty abounds in the factory farm industry. 
  v  In 2007, there were 20 reported neglect cases involving cows and eight involving pigs.
  v  Many dogs are plagues with illnesses, kidney disease or heart disease as a result of poor living conditions in puppy mills.
  v  Dogfighting became prevalent in the US after the Civil War and used as a source of entertainment for police officers and firemen.
  v  It has been estimated that there are 900 to 2,000 new cases every year of animal hoarding in the US.
  v  Over 100 million animals are killed in US laboratories for chemical, drug, food and cosmetics testing every year.
  v  Most rodeo events rely on creating a stressful environment for the domesticated and often docile animals to make them run faster or buck harder.
  v  The beginning of animal cruelty has been traced back to ancient times.v  Fighting dogs has been traced back to the 12 century after the Romans invaded Britain.
  v  The British began exporting dogs to fight against larger animals like wild boar and bulls.
  v  Rooster fighting has roots deep in American history and culture.
  v  In 2007 cock fighting was made illegal in Louisiana which was the last state to ban this fighting.
  v  The abuse of farm animals wasn’t around until the early 19th century.
  v  Most farm animals are forced to endure physical and psychological abuse for months if not years on end.
  v  Farm animals are housed in overcrowded facilities with insufficient food, water, and natural light.
  v  Last year in Baltimore, a 2 year old female pit bull was doused in gasoline and set on fire. The pit survived for four days with burns over 95 percent of her body.
  v  With this project I would like to show people the effect of animal abuse.
  v  I want people to learn what animal cruelty is and how they can help an animal who are being abused.
  v  I also want people to know how they can avoid animal cruelty when they encounter an animal.
  v  Also I want to show people what they can to stop animal cruelty.
  v   I hope this project bring animal cruelty out of the dark and into people’s minds 
  v  With my common thread I would like to use the point of view of an animal that has been abused and comes in counter with other animals that have been abused.
  v  I will use the other animals as introductions to my genres that I will be using.
  v  As one of my genres I would like to make a PSA about animal cruelty.
  v  I would like to make flyers or posters with information about animal cruelty and what we can do to stop animal cruelty.
  v  If possible I would also like to do something in community.
  v  I would like to volunteer at an animal shelter.
  v  Another idea to help out in my community would maybe be like accepting donations to help an animal shelter that helps animals that have been abused.
  v  I could also find stories of animals that have been abused and somehow showcase these stories and animals for other people to learn about.
  v  There are many celebrities like Michael Vick that was arrested for dog fighting. I could also talk about this story and use his dog as part of my common thread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment